Re: debian and linus kernel, the difference??

Mauro Darida wrote:
hello debianers,
I have always been wondering what is the difference between a fresh
kernel from linus and a debian kernel; I have always been using the
first one, maybe I have always been wrong?? No visible side effects
here, though...
Saluti, Mauro.
--
On this laptop no Windows system survives and LINUX POWER reigns UNLIMITED.
GnuPG key ID: 28A61681

In my case:

linux-2.6.9.tar.bz2 +
dpkg -i kernel-patch-debian-2.6.9_2.6.9-2_all.deb +
run-parts /usr/src/kernel-patches/all/2.6.9/apply = kernel-source-2.6.9

The patches are already present in kernel-source-2.6.9.

If you want to know what is in the patches look in the "debian" directory instead of the "apply" directory of the above.

That will not mean much and some have no description.

In general I would run WITH the patches, since powers greater than I have decided they would be a good idea. Debian certainly is something greater than I ;-)

That said, it remains something of a mystery how Linus decides what is IN or NOT IN a kernel version. Meaning I would certainly put some things IN, that are not IN.

To stay on top you would have to dedicate your time to watching http://lkml.org/ which can get tedious because of the subject matter.

H.