Re: usb vs. drivers

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:23:39 -0500, Christian Convey
<conveycj@npt.nuwc.navy.mil> wrote:
> Hi Andrea,
>
> I am using hotplug and udev.  Thanks for the Gnome tips; I'd still like
> to solve this at a lower level if possible.

Ok, "hotplug" is the USB agent that should load the appropriate kernel
module for your device.

> Do you know the process by which the system goes from (a) discovering
> that a device was connected to a USB port, to (z) binding a driver to
> that device?
>
> The reason I'm asking is that I'm trying to make my camera work on
> Sarge. I *suspect* that no driver is getting loaded for it. I figure
> that understanding the process by which drivers get bound to hotplugged
> devices will let me better debug the problem.

Open a console and use "tail -f /var/log/syslog" then plug your camera
and look if some USB messages appears. If you have another USB device,
like a memory thumb or an external disk, try with it to check the USB
port is correctly connected to the motherboard.

Andrea