Re: "Grub Hard Disk Error", after installing from sarge floppies

On these old machines it was often necessary to use a scheme called
Logical Block Addressing (LBA) to allow MS-DOS access to the entire
drive.  Many later 486 machines incorporated LBA into the BIOS and once
activated is rather seemless.

If the BIOS did not support LBA the drive manufacturer often included a
utility that would install some code on the drive to add LBA as sort of
a BIOS extension.   These were often problematic.  I've never played
 with GRUB on a machine using LBA, but had good luck with LILO.

On this old of a machine, it is one area I would look at as I don't know
if GRUB reads the drive geometry itself or if it uses what the BIOS tells
it.  It almost seems like as though the install took place through LBA
mapping and now GRUB is trying to read the drive through its real geometry
which more than likely won't work.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of