"Grub Hard Disk Error", after installing from sarge floppies

Hi. Just wondering if someone has a clue on how to solve this:
I installed an old machine (p200 classic, 32Mb RAM, 3.5Gb HD + realtek 8193 NIC) using sarge installer from floppies (boot+root+net drivers)

After partitioning, installing the base system and grub loader, the installer says it will reboot to continue from the freshly installed system...
...but when one is suposed to get the GRUB menu, I get simply a
"GRUB Hard Disk Error" message

googling revealed problems when using dual-booting, XP or stuff like that. I am using a full-disk install over a win95 installation, so no dual-boot and no XP before. I retried the installation using using default options for partitioning, just to be sure I had not messed up with the boot partition.. same error..

I have no ideia of how to debug this or how to workaround it... One tought is to do a woody install 1rst or maybe try to get lilo instead of grub... but how?

Any toughts?