Re: RCS (Revision Control System)

I just evaluated prcs, cvs and monotone for a paper, representing
somewhat the single-user scenario, client-server and peer-to-peer.

prcs can be used in a client-server setting too, but requires you to
share disks, but has otherwise a really clean interface  Not widely
used, as far as I know.

cvs is the most gorilla of the 3 and it shows especially when it comes
to audit and monitoring (syntax for branching and mergeing seemed
unnatural to me).

monotone is the one to watch, if you ask me, but ran into multiple
show-stoppers had I been using it in a production scenario.  For
instance, you can tag a version but there is no way to change or
delete that.  Now fixed, but I observed problems with merging two
branches that did not have a common partent.  sqlite back-end
is promising for reporting type queries.

I cannot for the life of me get used to the odly named file names or
namespace in arch.  Looked at darcs, but passed on it... don't recall
why sorry.  codeville seems neat. aegis too "formal" and restrictive.
And quilt's patch management philosophy was not working for me.

Still looking for the 'right' tool...

/Allan