Re: using mail

Sam Watkins wrote:
On Sun, Nov 28, 2004 at 11:48:57AM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

When I use: mail <inet.addrs> it sends mail to that address with the options that I have set via dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config.

But it sends it from "root" (when I am logged on as root). "root" of course does not exist at that inet.addrs.

How do I with an option not send from "root" as root but from "whomever" at inet.addrs?

You can do something like:

mail -a 'From: some@bogus.email.address' recipient@wherever.net

The -a option adds an arbitrary mail header, see mail(1)

I tested this, it seems to work.

alternatively, you could "su" to the appropriate user before running mail.

Sam

Thanks! That's it! It does work that way. I use your first option, the second one entails that the internet address user actually has to exist on the system.

Hugo