Re: Grub menu.lst

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> Freddy Freeloader wrote:
> > I made a dual boot system out of a Win2K box I had.  I installed sarge
> > and everything worked great.  I could boot to both Debian and Win2K.
> >
> > I did that install with the sarge installer and the 2.4.26 kernel.  I
> > later installed the 2.6.9 kernel from source.  My problem is that now I
> > get a kernel panic message on boot saying "VFS: unable to mount root fs
> > on unknown block" when trying to boot to the 2.6 kernel.
>
> In this case I think you have to post the .config I also use the 2.6.9
> kernel from source after installing the 2.4.26 kernel. I don't think
> it's grub...

In case this helps the thread, I've had the same problem, with the same
error message, when trying to install a manually-compiled 2.6.6 kernel on
a laptop running a 2.2.20 kernel obtained from a CDROM install. That
system was using lilo, not grub. The entries in fstab and lilo.conf seemed
to be indicating the correct partitions for /. I didn't solve it.

Dan