Re: Grub menu.lst

Francois Cerbelle wrote:
Le Sat, Nov 27, 2004 at 03:42:27PM -0800, Freddy Freeloader ecrit :

I made a dual boot system out of a Win2K box I had. I installed sarge and everything worked great. I could boot to both Debian and Win2K. I did that install with the sarge installer and the 2.4.26 kernel. I later installed the 2.6.9 kernel from source. My problem is that now I get a kernel panic message on boot saying "VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown block" when trying to boot to the 2.6 kernel. What's strange about this is that in the menu.lst file everything is exactly the same for both kernels.

Except one thing : both kernel certainly dont have support for you
root partition filesystem, but the Debian one can find the appropriate
module in its initrd. I bet that your kernel doesnt have either an initrd
image or the filesystem support ! ;-)

Fanfan

Well, I have another Debian machine with both the 2.4 and the 2.6 kernels on it. I compiled the 2.6.9 kernels for both machines and included the ext3 file system support in both. The 2.6.9 kernel in the one machine boots fine, this one won't. I actually supported more file systems in the kernel for the machine that doesn't boot than I did in the machine that does.