Re: configure PS2 mouse through KVM Switch to serial port on Debian with Xfree

On Thu, Nov 25, 2004 at 10:28:14AM -0600, Greg Strong wrote:
> I've been informed to try the configuration below:
>
> >Section "InputDevice"
> >        Identifier  "Serial Mouse"
> >        Driver      "mouse"
> >        Option      "Protocol" "Microsoft"
> >        Option      "Device" "/dev/ttyS0"
> >        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
> >        Option      "Emulate3Timeout" "70"
> >        Option      "SendCoreEvents"  "true"
> >EndSection
>
> I'm new to Linux and Debian.  Do I use 'VI' to edit 'XF86Config-4' file
> or do I have to run the command 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86'?
> From reading the 'XF86Config-4' file it looks like you have to put
> configuration either at the beginning or end.  If you put at the end
> what about the mouse configuration settings in the middle of the file?

not sure if you got a reply yet Greg;
if not, you should edit XF86Config-4 and add this "InputDevice" section.

Each input device has an identifier (name), make sure the name "Serial Mouse"
isn't used in another input device section, and update the "ServerLayout"
section so that it refers to this input device instead of whatever
"CorePointer" it was referring to before, e.g:

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier  "simple layout"
    Screen      "Screen1"
    InputDevice "Serial Mouse" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

then it should work, supposing that configuration is correct.

Sam