Re: nohup command

Olive Esseret wrote:
On Thu, Nov 25, 2004 at 04:59:29AM -0800, Olive
Esseret wrote:

--- Olive Esseret <olive_esseret@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hello,

I want to configure bash in order that

background

process remains alive if we close the windows

from

which we have lauched the process (this would be
especially usefull for X applications: if I

lauch

emacs& ; I do not want that closing the xterm
windows
close emacs). I have tried the shopt -u huponexit option but it does not work for nacground

process:

shopt -u huponexit
emacs&
then if we close the xterm window; emacs will

quit.

I can manually disown the process:
emacs& disown
but would it possible to have that

automatically?

Olive

NOHUP(1) User Commands NOHUP(1)

NAME
      nohup - run a command immune to hangups, with
output to a non-tty

SYNOPSIS
      nohup COMMAND [ARG]...
      nohup OPTION

DESCRIPTION
      Run COMMAND, ignoring hangup signals.

      --help display this help and exit

      --version
             output version information and exit

Yes I knew this command but it does not works in all
case: try (in X)
nohup emacs&
then close the xterm and you will see that emacs will
be closed!

It behaves as expected (ie emacs keeps running) when I do it!