Re: Subversion package for debian

On Thursday 25 November 2004 02:08, Micha Feigin wrote:
> At Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:08:00 +0100,

> Both cvs and subversion can handle binary files, although not very
> efficiently (although subversion claims so, I don't completely believe it).
>
> Its a problem to coherently store differences between such files where you
> don't understand the contents and thus can't make smart diffs, or where
> large parts of the file change to handle small changes.
>
> If the files don't change too much its still ok to use cvs or subversion
> (its mainly useful for handling bitmaps as part of program code).

I am running a subversion svnserve process on my work laptop, a win2000
machine.  As a client I have tortoise svn.  I then use subversion to manage
version control on my m$ word documents.

It was the binary diff ability that made me decide to do it that way rather
than just keep lots of versions of the document file around.

--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk