Re: Subversion package for debian

At Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:08:00 +0100,
Mathias Tauber wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > http://packages.debian.org/experimental/source/subversion
> >
> > says that the subversion package is experimental and not stable.
> >
> > Does anyone know any third party site (like dotdeb) that provides 3rd
> > party stable packages for subversion.
> >
> > Also can I hear from people who have used Subversion on Debian whether
> > it is advisable to switch from CVS to Subversion in Debian and if
> > there are problems assosiated with it?
>
> I'm searching for an OpenSource DMS (document management system)
> and heard about subversion.
>
> I just want to ask, if somebody is experienced with this? The
> features of subversion seem to be great, but I don't know if
> it makes sense to use this for managing office and binary files.

Both cvs and subversion can handle binary files, although not very efficiently
(although subversion claims so, I don't completely believe it).

Its a problem to coherently store differences between such files where you don't
understand the contents and thus can't make smart diffs, or where large parts of
the file change to handle small changes.

If the files don't change too much its still ok to use cvs or subversion (its
mainly useful for handling bitmaps as part of program code).