Re: xcdroast and 2.6.9 in Debian

On November 24, 2004 14:21, H. S. wrote:
> I discovered today that for some reason my xcdroast had been removed. I
> was a bit surprised since I never removed it myself.
>
> Anyhow, I reinstalled it using dselect and tried to configure it. During
> installation I told it NOT to use SCSI emulation and NOT to make
> /dev/sg? devices.
>
> But now it takes *ages* to detect and configure my two drives. When I
> ask it to rescan it just never sees my CDROM, only the CD-RW.
>
> And I get these in my /var/log/syslog:
> kernel: hdd: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
> kernel: hdd: irq timeout: error=0x00
> kernel: hdd: ATAPI reset complete
> .
> .
> .
> and so on.
>
> Then I tried by allowing it to use SCSI and allowing it to make /dev/sg?
> devices. Same results with similar delays.
>
> And if I try to eject the CD from CDROM, it takes another 5 or more
> minutes to open the tray,maybe even longer.
>
> Earlier I was running the 2.6.7 kernel. Now since a few days ago, I am
> running 2.6.9 kernel (vanilla) on Sarge.
>
> Is there a problem with xcdroast or am I missing something really
> important. BTW, I do not have scsi emulation enabled, use ATAPI all the
> time which seems to work with cdrecord.

There appears to be a problem with 2.6.8 and 2.6.9 kernels and cdrecord. This
problem is well documented -- see for example:
http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/3644
You either have to apply a patch or burn cd's as root.  Some people are also
having trouble burning audio cd's where the cpu usage goes through the roof.
I would recommend downgrading to the 2.6.7 kernel again until these issues are
sorted out.

R. Pluschke