Re: syslog msgs: dhclient & n'bour table overflow

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, michael wrote:

Increase the ARP cache, or wait for 2.4.29, or get 2.6.10 :)

Make that 2.4.28. I think the 2.6.10 dynamic ARP table sizing code went in
2.4.28.

wow, there's 1024 such entries as below... is this correct??? (or have I

How big are the directly attached networks? If you have more than four
/24 networks connected to the box (or even a single /16 network), then you
*certainly* have to increase that cache size with any kernel below 2.4.28 or
2.6.9 (10?).

Please bear with me...

I'm sitting at a University so I've no idea how big the ''directly attached'' networks are. I've also no idea what ''/24'' or ''/16'' means in terms of networks!

The support here for Linux is minimal, as far as I can tell, but my box seems to be using dhcp but I do have a static IP number. Is that correct?

The network here has been known to be 'iffy'. Today I put a network printer onto my box (using LPD) and that involved an attempt, than hanged, to 'search the network for printers' -- and it's today that I've really noticed 'timeouts' etc (and 1000s of the above msgs in the logs)

HTH you to help me!
Thanks once again, Michael