Re: Laser Printer

On 24 Nov 2004, Peter Robinson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking to buy a laser printer in the range of 200-250 Euro and
> would like to get one that will work under Debian without all too much
> fuss. From the specs and the price, Lexmark E232t is looking pretty
> nice. Has anyone set this up under a testing Debian system? Can this (or
> another printer) be recommended?
>
> Thankx
>
> peter

I'd steer clear of Brother, at least the cheaper models. I had a Brother
1040 for a time which was good when it worked but eventually the drums
started failing; I went through 5, all of which stopped working after
about 20 pages. I therefore gave up and replaced it with a Kyocera Mita
FS1010, which is fine and has the advantage that you never have to
replace the drum! The toner seems to last a long time too.

It works well with Linux (Sid); CUPS is OK but I find magicfilter
better, using the ljet4 filter.

Anthony

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  for book reviews, electronic