Re: how does mutt send?

You can make Mutt work directly with SMTP, no need for Exim, by
installing "msmtp":

apt-cache show msmtp...
 msmtp is an SMTP client that can be used to send mails from Mutt and
probably
 other MUAs (mail user agents). It forwards mails to an SMTP server (for
 example at a free mail provider), which takes care of the final
delivery.
 Using profiles, it can be easily configured to use different SMTP
servers
 with different configurations, which makes it ideal for mobile clients.

regards,
Robert