Re: Webcam versus still camera: howto get correct kernel modules loaded?

On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at 06:18:07AM +0200, Tapio Lehtonen wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 20, 2004 at 08:17:42PM +0100, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Sat, Nov 20, 2004 at 07:31:16AM +0200, Tapio Lehtonen wrote:
> > > Root can rmmod those modules, but I need to find a way for ordinary
> > > users to use this camera alternatively as a webcam or with gphoto2. I
>                              =============

OK

> > > hope something less risky than sudo rmmod/sudo modprobe is
> > > possible.
> > >
> > > Suggestions?
> >
> > I do not know exact answer but the modules seems to be loaded by trhe
> > hotplug.
> >
> > Did you look into /etc/hotplug/* especially /etc/hotplug/blacklist
> > and files etc/hotplug/blacklist.d/* .
> >
> > Maybe listing stv* modules in these blacklist may prevent them loading.
> >

> But then the camera will not work as a webcam at all. What I want, is
> to tell the system which way I use the camera this time. So when I
> plug it in the USB, for webcam use the stv* modules are loaded, and
> for still camera use they are not loaded.
>
> I could use this cheapo camera only as a webcam, and use my good
> camera for still shots, but there at least should be a way.
>
> And I know root can rmmod those modules, that is what I do now. But I
> don't want to give root password to users, and sudo rmmod seems too
> risky.

Then you should create setuid program (C or Perl,...) which create and
remove /etc/hotplug/blacklist.d/somefile.  Then user can change this and
only this.

This can be simple C program with systemm call lists :-)

> > I see new modules, hotplug and udeb will be point of confusion for a
> > moment for me.  I just had bad kernel crash after trying to update to
> > 2.6.9 series while updating some 2.6.8.  New Debian CD is not as simple
> > to use as a rescue disk since it uses a lot modules.  ....
>
> I use Knoppix as rescue CD.

Good idea.  Maybe I should burn it too.