Re: how does mutt send?

On Tuesday 23 November 2004 02:31 pm, richard@the-place.net wrote:
> WHen I compose a message in mutt and hit Y, it says "Sending message..."
> and waits, apparently not sending anything until I hit Q.  SO what does
> mutt do at this point?  I must have to configure something, but I'm
> unclear what.
>
> System is sid with exim4.  Mutt is receiving imap from a remote system.
> Sending mail normally from command line functions correctly AFAICS.
>
> TIA
>
> --
> richard

mutt does not send. It is strictly a Mail User Agent (MUA). You will have to
setup a Mail Transort Agent (MTA) in conjunction with mutt. There are some
relay only MTAs out there that you can use, but I would recommend using
something like Postfix. It has excellent documentation and is relatively
painless to configure for stand-alone systems.

You will also need something to get your mail if you use a POP server.
Fetchmail with Procmail is a common setup for this.