openoffice in chroot

I set up a chroot last night following the instructions in the howto.
By the way, that howto needs some updating. There are some details
that are not mentioned. Like when and how to run base-config to set up
the chroot environment, and whatnot, and when and how one should run
aptitude to install all the packages. The debootstrap just installs a
base system. Also it's not clear if the proc and /tmp filesystems
should be put in the fstab in the 64 system or in the chroot. There
are a couple of things where the howto does not specify where you're
supposed to do it, inside or outside the chroot.

I managed to install it though, though I ran aptitude and installed a
bunch of stuff BEFORE I ran base-config, and while apt was installing
packages I was constantly getting messages complaining about locale
not being defined. My locale is supposed to be french.

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
        LANGUAGE = "fr_FR:fr:en_GB:en",
        LC_ALL = "fr_FR",
        LANG = "fr_FR@euro"
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory

Hundreds of times.

Now when I try to run openoffice, the window appears, with french
menus for just a fraction of a second, then it switches to english.
And when I try to go to File New, to create a new document openoffice
displays this to the console and then hangs.

I18N: Operating system doesn't support locale ""

Maybe it's because it was installed before the locale was set up for
the chroot so it didn't know how to configure itself... or something.

So what is supposed to be the correct sequence in order to set up a
386 chroot correctly, and is there a way to get openoffice running
now, without reinstalling the whole chroot?

Thanks

Alex.