Re: And the thing is installed by apt-get at... ??

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 17:29:34 +0200, ocl <ocl@arayan.com> wrote:
> Matt Zagrabelny wrote on 2004-11-23 16:27:
>

> > On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 00:42 +0200, Basri Kanca wrote:
> >
> >>I know this does sound like the lamest question, but I
> >>simply have to ask it --please flame sparingly :-)
> >>
> >>When I do an 'apt-get install <something>', does <something>
> >>actually get placed in a menu item under somewhere under
> >>the 'Applications' --referring to Gnome.
> >>
> >>If so, how do I know which menu path <something> has been
> >>placed --other than going thru every single menu and trying
> >>to guess whether the menu item just added bears a resemblence
> >>to the <something> that I 'apt-get'ted.
> >>
> >>And, a second question --if I may: Is there a GUI way (i.e.
> >>using Nautilus) to create launcable menu-items under
> >>'Applications'? I tried 'File --> Create Launcher' but
> >>it comes up paractically blank.
> >
> > if you click on the gnome applications menu and navigate to the desired
> > submenu you can *right* click and add a new menu item there. no need for
> > external applications.
>
> We're back to where we started :-) Here is what I needed to know:
>
> Using Synaptic, say, I installed an app. It reported successful
> install. Nice. We're getting somewhere. Now, the problems:
>
> a) What are the names (labels) of the application that was just
> installed. I.e., when I frantically go through the menu tree (Gnome
> and/or Debian) what am I looking for? Am I expected to remember
> the previous setting of all those menus and do a mental diff?
>
> b) If, say, I am installing 'Ethereal', I want it to be under
> 'Applications' --> 'Network' (instead of being buried somewhere
> else), and I'd like it to be labelled something more user-friendly
> (OK, this is not really valid for Ethereal, but is for almost
> everything else).
>
> c) I want to rearrange the whole thing so that I dont need
> to trace 2 tree (Gnome and Debian) and merge and/or prune the
> whole thing the way it suits me. How do I do it --other than
> going thru a lot of low-level guts of the system. Even then,
> the whole thing is totally trial/error --no visual feedback.
>
> d) This was the user <me>, I am the admin. I want to let some
> other users use that app and some others not to use it. How do
> I do all of this? Do I login for each user and arrange it for
> them?
>
> I can go on. But, you see the headaches, I hope.
>
> Most of this could have been solved if Synaptic (or whatever the
> installer is) were to come back to me and ask 'under what label,
> under which menu node, for which users' am I going to install
> that particular app. No one does.

Debian menu configuration are stored in /usr/lib/menu, admin override
are stored in /etc/menu, if you modify something you need to
"update-menu" from root.

This is global for the system, if you want to made user custom
modification, with Gnome you should be able to do via gconf.

I'm repeating myself, but to know exactly the path of applications on
the Debian menu, look for the name of the application in
/usr/lib/menu...

Andrea