Re: Newbie's question about hard disk partition

On Monday 22 November 2004 8:54 am, Lian Liming wrote:
> RRPotratz wrote:
> > This CAN be confusing.  Technically, the only partitions you NEED are
> > / and swap.  Even then you may not need swap if you've got a ton of
> > RAM.  That being said, still make a swap partition.
> >
> > When I try out a distro, I generally add a /home partition as well so
> > that if I install another distro, or my current distro dies, at least
> > my personal data files can be saved through a reinstall by not
> > formating (initailizing) the /home partition during the reinstall.
>
> Your idea of adding a /home partition seems reasonable.
> I wonder if this is suitable to /var partition. I add a /var partition,
> when reinstall the system(the same distro), don't touch the /var partition.
>
> Is the /var patition still avaible in the newly installed system? anyone
> tests on this?

If you mount it as "/var"
--
Registered Linux user #366862

This message was sent from a Microsoft-Free 750MHz Athlon system running SuSE
Linux 9.1 (Kernel 2.6.5; KDE 3.2 configured to look alot like MacOS X).
"Failure is not an option with Microsoft; it's bundled with the software!"

"A Linux Only area  Happy bug hunting M$ clan, The time is here to FORGET
that M$ Corp ever existed the world does not NEED M$ Corp the world has NO USE
for M$ Corp  it is time to END M$ Corp"
				-snipped from the signature of Peter Nikolic