Re: Newbie's question about hard disk partition

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, RRPotratz wrote:

> This CAN be confusing.  Technically, the only partitions you NEED are /
> and swap.  Even then you may not need swap if you've got a ton of RAM.
> That being said, still make a swap partition.

you only need swap if you run out of "real" memery...

and even than you can use a swap file instead of a swap partition :-)

> Lian Liming wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >   This is a question from a linux newbie. I am quite confused with
> > linux hard disk partition.

just use the "default" partion that the distro installer tries to use

when you get annoyed with it ... than you can go fix it

- everybody has a different reason for different partition schemes
  and should be able to tell you all the nitty gritty details of
  why its that partition scheme instead of a number and what
  will make the machine die due to the different partition schemes

c ya
alvin