Re: Newbie Nvidia/Woody problem

Brian <bcap <at> clara.co.uk> writes:
> Woody (installed from a CD set).  I . . .
> The Woody install seems to have given me 2.2.20.

You can have a 2.4 kernel installed with something like "linux2.4" at the boot
prompt of the install cd.  But yes, the default is a 2.2 kernel.

> Thus, my command line is this:
>
>     sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5328-pkg1.run --kernel-include-path
> /usr/src/kernel-source-2.2.20/include
>
> But, I still get the error described above.

I had similar troubles with an Nvidia GForce 4 card a few months ago.  After
many failed attempts with the nvidia installer I installed a 2.4 kernel.  The
Woody CDs should have at least kernel-image-2.4.18-686 (the last three digits
are for your architecture, change it as necessary).  I would recommend a 2.4
kernel if you want to stay with Woody for now.  Although, it may be better for
you, in the long run, to upgrade to Sid (unstable).

Anyway, to get a new kernel try:
# apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-686
# apt-get install kernel-headers-2.4.18-686

You may need kernel-source-2.4.18-686 also, but I don't think so

Then you will need to run something like the following:
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4349.run \
--kernel-include-path=/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.18-386/include/ \
--kernel-install-path=/lib/modules/2.4.18-386/kernel/drivers/video/

If this works, you then need to install the module:
# modprobe nvidia

Then try startx.  This is what worked for me after much research on the web.

I still think that you need to permenently add the module to /etc/modules.  I
believe that you do this with modconf, or you can just enter it my hand if
modprobe worked the first time.

For installing debian packages in the future I would recommend two things.
First, check out the debian packages page:
http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

There is a nice package search tool at the bottom.

Second install aptitude:
# apt-get install aptitude

It has a nice interface for looking through available debian packages and
installing them.  Aptitude does use the /etc/apt/sources.list file, which right
now probably contains only a list of your CDs.

Also, I did eventually give up on Woody.  I am now running Sid.  I had to buy a
couple of DVDs because my internet connection is painfully slow.  My vidio
display is fine with the modules provided with Sid.  None of the above would be
necessary if you did upgrade to Sid.  It is worth it, IMHO.

If you have a fast internet connection then try to edit your sources.list to
something like:
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free

You would need to comment out (#) or delete the lines for your CDs.

Then do the following:
# apt-get update
# apt-get dist-upgrade

Hope this helps.