Re: No Sound On My System

Hello

Shawn McCuan (<mccuan@wave3.org>) wrote:

> When I first installed my system, It played sounds without a problem.
> Now, everytime I load, it tells me that either my sound device, or
> sound driver, do not exist.
>
> How do I go about determining the source of the problem, and then
> correcting it?

If you want more help, please tell us

- which version of Debian do you use, and is it up to date?
- which kernel do you use (uname -r)?
- do you use hotplug and/or discover for hardware detection and module
- do you use ALSA or OSS (i.e. is the alsa-base package installed, and,
  if you use kernel 2.4, is the matching alsa-modules package installed?
- if you use ALSA, is the alsa-oss package installed?
- what is the output of lspci (only the line for the sound card)?

> I have a C-Media soundcard. (I dont remember the model number, but,
> its not more than 3 years old)

I suppose it should work. If you use Debian Sarge or Sid, there are some
known problems if your system is not up to date and you want to use
ALSA. If that is the case, please make sure that the latest versions of
the alsa-base and discover1 packages are installed, because earlier
versions loaded the OSS drivers first, which would often lead to
problems.

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270