Re: AMD 64 and Debian

On Monday 22 November 2004 01:04 pm, Don Hayward wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, downtime null wrote:
> > I'm going to be upgrading my system very soon and was considering
> > upgrading to the AMD 64 bit processor. Are there already binary packages
> > available for 64 bit or am I going to have to compile everything? I'm
> > pretty sure there is already support for this architecture, I just want
> > to be sure.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> See: http://www.debian.org/ports/amd64/
>
> You're welcome.
>
> Don

Thanks! That's quite a bit of information. It would appear that AMD64 is not
officially supported and still has problems with some apps being supported
(i.e. OpenOffice). It does, however, seem to have good support for other
things (i.e. nVidia Video drivers).

Is anyone here using this configuration currently? How do you like it? What
problems have you personally experienced? One of big concerns is whether my
games will work. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy. Specifically,
does Transgaming's Cedega work with AMD64? A quick search on google.com and
transgaming.org didn't turn up anything that seemed relevant.