DSL+PPPoE with Efficient Networks LANL card (legacy SBC)?

[This message has also been posted.]
A friend of mine has residential DSL service from SBC.
I can move him from MSFT to Debian if I can get his
DSL service going.

Apparently he was an early adopter, and let the telco
install and configure his service, and it took them
nine house calls to get it working on Windoze 98!
This is the legacy SBC service, from before they
outsourced their residential ISP operation to Yahoo.
(Their current service uses a normal Ethernet card
and external DSL box, and their outsourced tech support
had never heard of this setup.)

They installed an unmarked PCI card which reads
"Efficient Networks (LANL)" in lspci.  It's got one
green LED and an RJ11 phone jack.  There is no external
DSL modem/bridge/router; this thing just hooks up to
the phone line upstream of the lowpass filter for
the POTS phone.  It came with a PPPoE client called
"EnterNet" and put some kind of ATM module in the Windoze
TCP/IP/PPP stack.

Any idea what this thing is?  Should it work like
the Speedstream 3060 et al?  Should it be recognized
by some Ethernet driver?  Do we have to scrap it and
get a normal Ethernet card and external DSL box?
That would be bad.
TIA.  Will post the solution.
If you reply off-list, delete the "-du" from my address.

Cameron