HELP!!!, can't login even as root

Running sid, computer went bananas. Gnome terminal
froze. Logged out from X. Couldn't come back.
Rebooteed. This is what happens:

INIT: cannot excute "/etc/init.d/rcS"
INIT: Entering runlevel:2
INIT: cannot execute "/etc/init/d/rc"
INIT: cannot execute "/usr/sbin/secvpnmon"
same same same
Id "SVPN" respawning too fast:
disabled for 5 minutes
(none) login: {I enter root}
Password: {I enter root password}
Unable to change tty /dev/tty1: Read-only file
system.
Cannot execute /bin/bash: Permission denied.
Debian Gnu/Linux 3.1 (none) tty1
(none) login:
{I do again Control + Alt + Delete}
Init: Switching to runlevel:6
INIT: Sending processes the TERM signal
INIT: Sending processes the KILL signal
INIT: cannot execute "/etc/init.d/rc"
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D to continue)
{I enter root password}
/bin/bash/: Permission denied
/bin/sh: Permission denied
Login incorrect
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D to continue.

After several of these cycles I give up, pull my
Knoppix CD, boot from it, and from this yahoo
account send this desperate SOS to my debian
fellow users.

A few mintes after, from webmail at rr i repeat
the message. I think from the yahoo account it
didn't make it.