Re: courier-mta + amavisd-new + spamassassin

Hi Horst!

I saw I did not include debian-users in my previous email. sorry
about that...

Horst Bursik wrote:

| Hi Mark,
|
| Thanks a lot for your answer!
|
| I'm using courier because the courier-packages includes everything
"from
| one source". I have the user information stored in couriers userdb an
| every component of courier (mta for smtpauth, pop3d, imapd)
| authenticates against this db. This is important for me because I
don't
| want to manage the users in more than one db. I tried once to use
| postfix instead of courier which ended up in a clean setup with
amavis
| working fine but to get smtpauth working I had to build second userdb.

Yeah, indeed it is a sweet setup if everything can be done from one
central point. But take a look at LDAP. With LDAP you can do the
same things and also do future things from this one database.
Creating a "single-sign-on" environment for your users.

Postfix, Sendmail and Exim can read from ldap as well. Courier does
imap and pop best. Exim does SMTP transport the best. And all that
comes with it.

The courier MTA was made by them to indeed fulfill the demand for
"everything from one distribution point". And although it eases the
integration, you get the idea there not using standards for it.

As long as everyone uses standards, integration becomes standard as
well.. And Exim is as standard compliant as they come.

| I just had a deep look on the exim website and it's absolutely worth
| considering exim! I must admit, that I didn't have a look at exim so
| far. I always replaced it with courier without looking how exim works
| and what it can. *shame on me* ;-)

Hehe, it took me a while before switching from Sendmail as well.
Exim is a breaze compared to Sendmail. And a LOT better in security!

| How is your setup exactly working? If i understand you correct you
have:

| exim as mta

Yes.

| maildrop as mda?

Maildrop and ".forward" files (exim's own filtering language real
easy to understand compared to procmail), and procmail.
Users can use any of these. Web interfaces make creating rules easy
for users.

As a side effect when users want to report spam to me, they send it
to a special "spam" email adress. This email then gets "fed" in to
there spamassassin database. Thereby strengthening spamassassin for
the next similar spam that comes along. This is done with procmail
recipies.

| courier-imap as pop3/imap daemon

True.

| amavisd-new + f-prot + spamassassin for content filtering

Yep, and also clamav antivirus. I use two scanners!

| Right?
|
| Are you using SMTP AUTH and if so, where does your exim gets the user
| information from? Does it have it's own userdb or is it possible
to use
| couriers userdb? Or have you stored both in a MySQL database?

SMTP auth via plain but also ssl, and tls. Users/passwords come from
~ LDAP.

| Tnx again for your help!

No thanks!

| Cheers,