Re: A bit off subject - Some may even give a crap.

---------- Original Message -------------
Subject: A bit off subject - Some may even give a crap.
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 21:06:10 -0700
From: "Walt L. Williams" <wwilliams@intergate.com>
To: "Debian (PC) Users Group" <debian-user@lists.debian.org>

As of this morning if you go looking for SuSE.com you now
get novell.com. And holy smokes is there a large selection
of enterprise software bing offered. I am betting that SuSE/Novell
will move the same direction the "Hat" did. away from the desk top.

I just thought some might find this a curiosity.

I will be officially moving to Debian as soon as the semester
is over and I can get Sarge to access the Internet. I will probably
have to set it up the old fashioned way, dialup scripts. I got a
little spoiled using utilities like Kinternet and Yast, etc.

W.

As a fellow SUSE user, I would ask why you think that Novell/SUSE will move away from the desktop - especially since Novell just released the Novell Linux Desktop as a corporate desktop solution?  Perhaps you're worried that they will move away from the home-user base?  They may very well produce their own "Fedora" stunt.  However, I believe they're pretty firmly committed to the desktop - corporate or otherwise.  Why would they invest so much money in desktop software (Ximian Evolution, Connector, etc.) if they were backing off the desktop?

Regards,
Don

--
DC Parris