Re: debian architectures

On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 09:45 -0500, Michael Marsh wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 09:27:55 -0500, Kevin B. McCarty
> <kmccarty@princeton.edu> wrote:
> > * alpha - Digital (DEC) workstations, usually originally running VMS,
> > although there was a Windows NT port to this for a while.  Pretty much
> > legacy-only now.
>
> And let's not forget OSF1/DigitalUnix/Tru64, not to mention some of
> the best compilers I've ever used (cxx kicked the crap out of g++) and
> tools like pixie.  I have a couple of friends who have old alpha
> systems, though mostly for sentimental reasons at this point.

I don't know whether OSF1/DigitalUnix/Tru64 has been EOL'ed in
favor of HP-SUX, but OpenVMS is still under active development.

OpenVMS 8.2  is on 3 platforms:
- VAX, which hasn't been made since ~1999
- Alpha, which will be EOL in a couple of years :(
- ia64.  Aaaggghhh!!!!!

By the time that Alpha is EOL'ed, we'll be in the middle of a
migration from Alpha/VMS to HP-SUX.  <Sigh>  I really like OVMS.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA
PGP Key ID 8834C06B

"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian
because I hate vegetables!"
unknown