Re: debian architectures

Kevin B. McCarty wrote:
Mauro Darida wrote:

I cannot quite understand which machines debian "architectures" are
referring to. Of course I know that x-86 are common pcs, sparc are sun
workstations, but others are quite cryptic to me. Anyone willing to
translate into non-developer language??

Here's a list off the top of my head.  Presumably others will add to and
correct it.

* alpha - Digital (DEC) workstations, usually originally running VMS,
although there was a Windows NT port to this for a while.  Pretty much
legacy-only now.
* arm - Includes a lot of embedded systems like routers, some PDAs (e.g.
Sharp's Zaurus).
* ia64 - Intel's 64-bit Itanium series of workstations.  Not doing too
well in the marketplace.
* m68k - Motorola 680x0 chips: Ancient Apple computers, Amigas, VME
crate controllers, embedded systems, ...
* powerpc - IBM's PowerPC chips: Modern Apple computers, some IBM
workstations (usually originally running AIX, I think?)
* s390 - IBM's mainframes: "big iron."
* mips, mipsel, hppa - These I'm not too clear on.

MIPS chips are in the SGI Origin boxes (usually running IRIX) and even in your PlayStation! But SGI have now moved to Intel IA64 chips in their boxes so I'm not sure how much longer MIPS chips will be about. But my SGI O2 does look nice ;)

Michael