Re: have a question about /proc

> I was browsing through my file system one day on my linux partition and
> noticed somthing that i never did before in the /proc directory. firstly what is
> this directory I now that it has somthing to do with the procedure file system

It is not a real "file" system, but provides a file-like view of the
information in the kernel. This includes information on processes but
also information on what buses your PC has and what drivers your kernel
is using.

Personally speaking, I use it only for setting permissions on USB
devices, and for testing whether a specific process is running from
inside a shell script. That's about all.

Alexis