have a question about /proc

I was browsing through my file system one day on my linux partition and noticed somthing that i never did before in the /proc directory. firstly what is this directory I now that it has somthing to do with the procedure file system what ever that is I dont know, secondly why does it duplicate my root directory and then create nested copies of it. they seem to go on endlessly what perpose does that serve just curiouse. Mabey its just my computer but I have tried differant linux distrobutions and the all seem to do the same thing. Oh and for the record I can not delete them any  at all very strange.........?????