XFree86 and USB Mouse & Keyboard ---> Frustrating!

In the root I run:
"dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86"

It prompts me with the instructions about drivers, resolution, and refresh rates.  I enter in the correct responses. Then it comes to the mouse.

Reference (both USB):
Microsoft USB Mouse:
Product URL: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=26-  105-123&depa=0
Microsoft Office Keyboard:
Product URL: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006D2LG/104-7385884-3858344

I am prompted with these options:
/dev/psaux
/dev/ttys0
/dev/ttys1
/dev/ttys2
/dev/ttys3
/dev/input/mice
/dev/atibm
/dev/sunmouse
/dev/gpmdata

I select "/dev/psaux".
In the next prompt I select "ImPS/2".
Then I select "no" to "Emulating 3 buttons"
Then I select "yes" to Scrolling Events (scroller).

I will then finish the configuration everything is written into the XF86Config-4.

I then type "startx".

It the screen goes weird then the kde loader window appears.  When the system tries to initials the component referred to with keyboard & mouse icon.  This is periphials.  It stops and returns me to the commandline and says "Caught signal 11, connection lost".  I believe the USB keyboard and USB mouse are configured wrong.  However, I do NOT know how to properly configure them.  Can please get some help.

Thank You
- mike

Aside: I have the log file available however to prevent wasting people's bandwidth I chose not to attach it.  Let me know and I will include it in a reply.