Re: Newbie looking for some answers please...........

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 09:17:02AM -0800, Chad wrote:
> I just installed Debian 3.0 r3. I'm a newbie and looking for some
> anwers to some of my questions...if someone can anwser one, some, or
> all Please....
>
> 1. I know that apt-get is the main utility to add and remove programs
> (in Debian anyways), also to veiw what is installed on your OS. But
> what about other packages or applications that are not installed
> through apt-get. Is there a another utility to tell you want is all
> installed on your OS, or to keep track of all
> software/packages/applications installed?

Actually dpkg is the fundamental program. Try using dselect or, if
you've X Windows properly set up, try using synaptic.

> 2. How do you check for all running services and how to start/stop
> system services that are unused?

top ??

Starting/stopping services: update-inetd --enable or --disable or
--remove (all from memory here - check :) )

> 3. How do you check for all open ports and what programs are using the
> ports.

nmap localhost - should tell you what ports are open.

lsof - may tell you a fair bit.

If you can't find which services match which ports look at /etc/services
which provides a list of well known ports.

> 4. What is the common folder Where most software/packages/applications
> installed into?

/usr/bin is a fair bet to start with.

> 5. Anyone has a good site for descriptions of the configuration files
> on a linux system. For Example XF86Config-4. I have no idea of what
> configuration files do what or where they are located.

Mostly under /etc/(name of package) e.g. /etc/X11R6/ or /etc/init.d
or /etc/apache

> 6. Where is the boot files? So I can control or know what programs
> start at boot.

dmesg provides a log of the boot process. dmesg | less should slow
down a lot of the boot process log and present it to you in pages of
text rather than it scrolling off screen quite so rapidly :)

Hope this helps,

Andy