Re: Xvfb and X authorization

Matt Price wrote:
hi,

I have a script that opens Openoffice in an X session managed by
Xvfb. I initiate the X session with:
Xvfb :86 -screen scrn 800x600x32 &

This used to work fine.  But sometime in the recent past, presumably
since an unobserved update or something, I get this error when trying
to connect $ DISPLAY=:86 xterm & [1] 18603
Xlib: No protocol specified

xterm Xt error: Can't open display: :86
[1]+  Exit 1                  DISPLAY=:86 xterm -sl 1000

Xvfb itself generates this error: AUDIT: Tue Nov 16 14:37:43 2004: 18483 Xvfb: client 1 rejected from
local host

I can workaround this by invoking Xvfb with the -ac switch: Xvfb :86 -ac -screen scrn 800x600x32 &
but obviously this is terrible security practice, so I can't use it
normally.
I've flipped through the Xserver and Xsecurity man pages but I'm still
at a bit of a loss as to how to get Xvfb to read the authorization
file, or maybe I'm using the wrong one. I tried this:
Xvfb :86 -auth /home/matt/.Xauthority -screen scrn 800x600x32 &

just for the archive: found the solution on the net, the file named by -auth should simply contain host names in cleartest. In my case I made a file
/etc/X99.cfg
containing the single line:
localhost
and call Xvfb thus:
Xvfb :86 -auth /etc/X99.cfg -screen scrn 800x600x32 &

all fixed!

 .''`.       Matt Price
: :'  :      Debian User
`. `'` 	     & hemi-geek