Re: sarge gdm language entry, howto add language?

Le Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 03:12:28PM +0000, Joao Clemente ecrit :
> I had already tried this (or emulated this) and it seemed to do
> nothing... gdm in fact sets the LANG variable, but KDE (at least in
> sarge) seems to ignore it..
> I tried it like this:
> opened up konsole, checked LANG by doing "env | grep LANG" ...
>
> 1 - LANG was set to "C", I started a konqueror from that console, it
> started with a portuguese interface... (I had defined in kde control
> center to use portuguese)
> 2 - exported LANG=en_US and started konqueror... it also started with
> portuguese...
>
> So I concluded that KDE is ignoring LANG and using some internal value
> (not even environment variables as "env" displays nothing with "pt" values)

> ? Toughts ? Maybe we need to setup kde with multiple possibilites in
> control center, so that he reads LANG?

Maybe KDE use the following algorithm :
IF KDELanguage == Default (or C or POSIX or NULL)
 THEN KDELanguage <- LANG
 ELSE nothing
FI

so, try the same tests, but without forcing the language in the
control panel (setting language to default)

Maybe KDE dont use LANG but LC_* environement variables. I dont thinkg
so.

Francois
--
Le mariage des esprits est plus grand que celui des corps.
                           [Didier Erasme]