Re: new installer freeze

On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 16:39, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Hi Debian!
>
> Since Oct. 18th attempts to use the new installer with the linux26 or
> expert26 option cause a hang and a frozen keyboard at "Installing
> Base-system". I filed a bug:
>
> It could be my machine: KT7A Abit mobo, 3 strips of 168pin 256MB memory,
> Athlon 850MHz, 2 HDD's IDE one of 80GB one of 20GB, one CD burner, no
> network card, external 56KB modem on serial port. TNT2 on AGP, MX-440 on
> PCI. But what could be plainer than this?
>
> The one "weird" thing: I have 2 kbds + 2 mice. But when I removed the
> weird factor the hang still happened.
>
> I can install default and install the 2.4.27 kernel.
>
> Has anybody tried to install the 2.6 kernel with the new installer?
> With what result?

I have used the Debian installers dated 29th October and 15th November
in expert26 mode with no problems. This is using a debian mirror via
ethernet and ADSL router. I tried two machines successfully:

1. IBM Thinkpad T20 notebook.

2. An Abit KG7-lite mongrel box with this spec:
AMD Athlon XP 1600+
1 strip of 168pin 256MB memory,
2 HDD's IDE one of 60GB one of 160GB
one CD burner
Dlink DFE-530TX network card

Perhaps the dialup modem is your problem? In any case, I think that a
base install at 56k would take around 20 hours to download.

Did you should _start_ the installer with only one keyboard and one
mouse, or remove them later?

Chris.
--
Chris Lale <chrislale@untrammelled.co.uk>