Re: swap space size

On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 04:33 -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 07:21:20AM +0000, Alexis Huxley (ahuxley@gmx.net) wrote:
> > On 2004-10-21, Gilbert, Joseph <jgilbert@insuresuite.com> wrote:

[snip]
> Oh, and why 2-3x RAM to start?  Because you can add memory to a system
> pretty easily.  Repartitioning to add swap is considerably more
> difficult (though you can also add swapfiles rather than partitions).
> So overcommit to swap when you build your system.  Plan to grow  into
> it.  And you'll find that applications and user expectations *will*
> expand to fill available memory expansion slots.

Using kernel 2.6, that's exactly why I decided to use swap files.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA
PGP Key ID 8834C06B

I wish the USA could get out of the UN. But a forum where
governments can talk is too useful. The next best thing is to
only pay a fraction of our dues. Or find a better forum.