Re: Who maintains orphaned packages?

on Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 05:04:01PM +0400, Nikita V. Youshchenko (yoush@cs.msu.su) wrote:

> > Hello,
> > I was checking the wnnp page and noted there are packages which have been
> > orphaned for over 2 years. If someone reports perhaps an RC bug, can
> > someone else fix that bug such that it will be accepted in the new stable
> > system or does it have to have a maintainer before that? Thanks.
>
> Anyone may make a fix and post it to BTS, and even create debs.

s/Anyone/Any Debian maintainer/

There's an extensive process and vetting to become a maintainer (aka
developer or 'dd').  Non-maintainer dd's may make an "NMU"
(non-maintainer update) to a package.  These are noted in the packages
Debian changelog, stored in /usr/share/doc/*/changelog.Debian.gz

This is covered in the Debian Developer's Reference:

    http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/ch-pkgs.en.html

Specifically:

    http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/ch-pkgs.en.html#s-nmu-who

> If debs are ready, he should write to debian-mentors, asking to sponsor an
> upload.

Any old Joe can't upload packages to a distribution mirror.  Patches can
be filed through the BTS however.

Peace.

    The black hat community is drooling over the possibility of a secure
    execution environment that would allow applications to run in a
    secure area which cannot be attached to via debuggers.
    - Jason Spence, on Palladium aka NGCSB aka "Trusted Computing"