Re: dual-OS system

On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 08:47:29PM -0800, ken keanon wrote:
> 1. How easy is it to switch from one OS to another? Is rebooting the
> only way?

Yes. But in Linux you can install dosemu to run dos programs or wine
to run windows programs. It doesn't work for all programs though. In
Windows you can install CygWin to run Linux programs. Then there is
VMware (commercial software) which really allows you to run Windows in
Linux or the other way around.

> 2. Linux uses ext2 or ext3 filesystem, XP uses NTFS. Can files be
> swap between the two? More likely I wouldl be copying Linux file to
> XP, e.g. log files required for troubleshooting.

Linux can read all Windows file systems. Writing to NTFS was not
possible or maybe discouraged, but recently that changed. I don't know
if you'll need a recent kernel for that.

There may be patches or programs to allow Windows to read ext2/3
partitions.

When I still had Windows installed I used a partition formatted as
FAT32 to swap files between the two.

"Let your advance worrying become advance thinking and planning."
 - Winston Churchill