Not booting from IDE-0

I upgraded the kernel to 2.6.7 and landed into this problem. When the system boots, the
screen displays a message something like
"looking for boot record from IDE-0" OK
followed by "L" and then continuous stream of number 40

I have to press the reset button to stop this stream. I can boot with the previous kernel
through a boot floppy. I tried putting "lba32" option, commenting out line compact in
lilo.conf but did not change anything.

I tried using grub also but does not change anything.

Plesae help.