Re: Partitioning hard drives

I won't attempt to tell you just how big each partition should be or on
which drive you should locate it, but a fairly standard and secure
configuration for hard disk partitioning would be to put each of the
following in its own partition:

  /
  swap
  /boot
  /home
  /tmp
  /var
  /usr

Not everyone agrees that /boot needs its own partition anymore. It had
more to do with the fact that in ancient times there was a requirement
that /boot be in the first 1024 cylinders, but that limitation no longer
exists.

If you plan to create an encrypted partition sometime in the future
(perhaps /secret), you ought to allocate space for it. Encrypted
partititions shouldn't be too large, since that hinders performance. I
have one 650MB in size, and it's adequate for my needs (I chose that
size because I want to back up the data to a CDR). You can create more
than one encrypted partition if you like.

regards,
Robert