Re: sound driver

On Tuesday 16 November 2004 15:48, Jason Rennie wrote:
> In short: I can't play ogg files on my Debian Sarge (2.4.27) machine,
> but I can if I boot off a Knoppix live CD (v3.6, kernel 2.4.27).
> i.e. the drivers I have installed on my Debian Sarge machine aren't
> working.  I'd like to set things up to use the sound drivers that
> Knoppix uses, but I don't know how.  Does anyone out there know how
> I'd go about doing this?  Here's the output of /sbin/lsmod on Debian
> Sarge:
>
> Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: PF
> via82cxxx_audio        21564   1
> ac97_codec             13300   0 [via82cxxx_audio]
> uart401                 6436   0 [via82cxxx_audio]
> sound                  57480   0 [via82cxxx_audio uart401]
> soundcore               3940   4 [via82cxxx_audio sound]

Ok, you're using the OSS modules

> via82cxxx              10856   1 (autoclean)

This is for the IDE chipset (notice the dependence on ide-core).  It's got
nothing to do with sound, save the fact that it's made by the same company.

> Here's lsmod output for Knoppix:
>
> Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
> via82cxxx_audio        19448   1
> ac97_codec             11916   0 [via82cxxx_audio]
> uart401                 6052   0 [via82cxxx_audio]
> sound                  55276   0 [via82cxxx_audio uart401]
> soundcore               3428   4 [via82cxxx_audio sound]

OK, Knoppix is also using OSS.

> My sound card is built into my Via motherboard.  via82cxxx_audio and
> via82cxxx appear to be the driver modules.  The size of
> via82cxxx_audio differs and Knoppix doesn't use via82cxxx.

The size discrepency is most likely due to differing kernel versions.  What
kernel are you using in Sarge?  How about in Knoppix?

> But, I can't rmmod via82cxxx on Debian:
>
> jrennie@desk:~$ sudo rmmod via82cxxx
> Password:
> via82cxxx: Device or resource busy

This means that something is using the sound card.  If I had to guess, it's
your sound server.  Do you have one running (esound, arts, etc?)?  If you
stop your sound server, then quit all applications which use sound (like
your mixer, if it's running), you can unload the module.  There's no reason
to do this, however, unless you want to run Alsa instead.  First things
first, though.  Let's get OSS running before you switch.

> In case it's useful, here's the output of ogg123 (looks the same for
> both Debian and Knoppix):
>
> Audio Device:   OSS audio driver output
>
> Playing: ogg/king_crimson/sleepless_the_concise_king_crimson/red.ogg
> Ogg Vorbis stream: 2 channel, 44100 Hz
> Title: Red
> Artist: King Crimson
> Genre: 17
> Date: 1993
> Album: Sleepless (The Concise King Crimson)
>
> Any help would be much appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason

Hmm, the above output would seem to suggest that ogg123 is actually working.
If there isn't an error  message you forgot to copy, how about turning up
the volume via a mixer?