Re: [plug] HA Cluster STONITH Device

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 16:11:27 +0800, Ariz C. Jacinto
<acjacinto@sps-spitech.com> wrote:
> Paolo Alexis Falcone wrote:
>
> > dumb UPS's also operate similar to this mode.
>

> i agree but there are UPS that can't handle the power hog of servers
> and thus data centers use a much higher-capacity UPS that can
> serve hundreds of workstations or dozens of servers. and with
> this setup, we can't simply turn-off the UPS for STONITH purposes
> since it would shutdown all the machines connected to it thus, a
> PDU is preferred.

It's not exactly the UPS that would substitute for STONITH. What I
meant was an adhoc controller can be constructed similar to how UPS
cables are done with regards to a rise in current to be transmitted
via serial cable. DTR and DCD can then be monitored  to check any
change in current which can then be interpreted by the system to
trigger an event (a timed shutdown usually).

--
Paolo Alexis Falcone
pfalcone@gmail.com