Re: login script & xterm

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 23:12:46 -0800, ms419@freezone.co.uk
<ms419@freezone.co.uk> wrote:
> Where should I put commands to be executed when I login, & when I open
> an xterm, but not when a shell is run on other occasions?
>
> I want some commands executed when I login, but not when a shell is
> otherwise run, so I put them in my ~/.login, vs. my ~/.bashrc.
> Unfortunately, they aren't executed when I open an xterm.
>
> I hoped there might be a ~/.xtermrc I could put them in, but I haven't
> found mention of an xterm initialization script anywhere in the
> documentation.
>
> Also, I thought I could configure xterm to start as if with the -ls
> flag. Anyway, there's probably a reason it doesn't, like a login shell
> might break some application using xterm?
>
> Where should I put them?

Well, ".bash_profile" is executed for login shells and ".bashrc" is
executed for non-login shells.

If you want to set some environment variables or execute some commands
only when xterm are launched, you can add a condition in your
".bashrc", something like:

case $TERM in
    xterm*)
    echo "This is an XTerm"