Re: Will debian grow and stay

Op wo 17-11-2004, om 09:36 schreef ken keanon:

[snip]

> Will Debian accept advertisments as a source of revenue?

I surely hope not.

[snip]

> On a wider perspective, will free software threaten the whole software
> industry? I doubt it. Not everyone can afford to develop free software
> on a full time basis. If you still have to earn a living or strive
> towards a certain standard of living, you just cannot afford to work
> fulltime on something which gives no financial reward.

Financial reward comes from *using* free software. Companies and
governments can surely donate (some of) the time of their developers (or
hire contractors) to contribute to the free software that they are using
in their daily operations.

For example, many contributions to Debian have come from employees of
ISP's, who were improving the platform on which they built their
business.

--
Olav <betenoire@xs4all.nl>