[part Solved] Re: udev not working properly anymore (?)

H. S. wrote:

I have a rules files for udev on updated Sarge and Sid systems. When I inserted my USB stick into the port or each computer, the icon did not appear on desktop. In Sarge, I had to mount the stick manually using the mount command and Sid just hanged. This problem came completely out of the blue.

When I insert the stick, udev is supposed to make a link in /dev (in Sarge at least, this happens). Then gnome-volume-manager is supposed to mount the mount point according to /etc/fstab and show the icon on desktop -- this doesn't happen. It used to happen, both on Sarge as well as on Sid. Something seems to have changed recently (last time I tried was a few days ago and all was well).

Is anybody else experiencing these problems or is it just me?

->HS

Got it working on the laptop running Sid. I had installed new kernel, 2.6.9, and in that I had:
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_UB=m

which was causing the problem. It was showing the USB stick as uba and was hanging the computer if I unplugged the usb stick.

Actually, even rmmoding ub module was also making the computer hang. And if I blacklisted the ub module, the usb stick was not being recongized at all.

I recompiled the kernel with this option disabled and the USB stick was working properly. In the desktop running Sarge, 2.6.7, I still do not get the icon of the USB stick automatically which gnome-volume-manager (gvm) is supposed to give me. However, I can mount it manually (udev detects is properly and makes proper links in /dev) and work with it. Need to solve this one now.

These helped in finding the solution:
http://www.spinics.net/lists/usb/msg01901.html

->HS