udev not working properly anymore (?)

I have a rules files for udev on updated Sarge and Sid systems. When I inserted my USB stick into the port or each computer, the icon did not appear on desktop. In Sarge, I had to mount the stick manually using the mount command and Sid just hanged. This problem came completely out of the blue.

When I insert the stick, udev is supposed to make a link in /dev (in Sarge at least, this happens). Then gnome-volume-manager is supposed to mount the mount point according to /etc/fstab and show the icon on desktop -- this doesn't happen. It used to happen, both on Sarge as well as on Sid. Something seems to have changed recently (last time I tried was a few days ago and all was well).

Is anybody else experiencing these problems or is it just me?

->HS