Re: AMD 64 build absolutely necessary for install on Athlon 64?

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 17:47:14 +0100
Alexandru Cabuz <alexcabuz@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying for a few days here to boot my brand new Athlon 64 box on
> a Sarge Installation CD. But since sarge is not yet ported to AMD 64
> (http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/ports-status)
> I tried IA 64.

AMD64 is just a 64 bit processor in a regular PC body (that can do 32bit
emulation, from what I hear). IA 64 is a totally different beast.

> The computer refuses to boot off of it. It just hangs instead. At
> first I thought it's just a bad motherboard or bios or something, but
> now I tried those CDs in my Dell Pentium M laptop, and  the laptop
> does the same thing.
>
> So I am starting to wonder if it isn't just an architecture problem.
> It won't boot off CDs that were not built for its architecture...
>
> In this case, will I just have to get used to the fact that I won't be
> able to install Sarge AMD 64 on this box until the AMD64 build is
> complete? Is there no way around this? And is this normal behavior in
> the first place?

I've heard of several people using Sarge on an AMD64 on this list. The
following howto should help you get it going:

https://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30192/21/debian-amd64-howto.html

HTH,
Jacob